In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Sullivan and Sorrento Historical Society

Church of the Redeemer, Sorrento, ca. 1910

Contributed by Sullivan and Sorrento Historical Society
MMN Item 17532 Item Details
Church of the Redeemer, Sorrento, ca. 1910
MMN Item 17532 Zoom

Description

The Church of the Redeemer in Sorrento was founded by Eva Smith Cochran. It was built around 1889. It was patterned after a church she had seen in Sweden. The bell tower was built in 1896 and the rectory was built in 1906.

The church is believed to have been designed by Rotch & Tilden, a prominent Boston firm. They also designed a Unitarian church in Winter Harbor and several cottages in Bar Harbor.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.